Sunday, June 19, 2022

Camping 2021

Our camping trip this summer was one for the books! We (the kids and I because Darrell was staying home to finish up the sod-laying/watering the new grass) were able to go camping with my brother and his family and my sister-in-law's parents.  They got up there before we did and had their camp site set up. 

They helped us get our tent set up.  As I was putting our things inside our tent, Derek and Tansy both thought they saw a rattlesnake go under our tent.  Derek, Tansy and Kent looked under the tent and couldn't see it.  We moved the tent to another spot.

S'mores over a gas fire pit.

Derek thought he heard rustling in the bushes.  He called Kent over and there was a rattlesnake!  Derek and Kent were able to trap it and then Kent beat its head with a stick until it was dead!  

 

 

The next day Kent skinned it!

We went for a hike up to some waterfalls.

 

 

 

Megan

Emily

 

Emily, Tyler, Megan and me

 

The kids painted rocks.

 

We enjoyed eating, hammocking and playing games.

Megan climbed a tree.

So did Emily.

Frisbee

Hammock time

Hoagie lunch


Boondoggle

  


Stick/light saber battles (Tyler and Alex)


Megan, Samuel, Tyler, Emily and Carolyn playing tic tac toe


S'mores time



The night took a turn for the worse when Alex threw up so Derek took him home.  Emily and I wne to the bathroom around midnight. When we came back, Samuel was throwing up outside their tent.  Tansy said she was going to take him home to be with Derek and asked me to keep an ear out for the girls. I went back to our tent to sleep and woke up an hour later to find Tyler throwing up all over his sleeping bag.  Emily and Megan woke up then also and before I knew it, Emily was throwing up all over her sleeping bag.  What a mess! I decided I needed to find a place for them to shower, so we headed towards Nephi to see if we could find a hotel.  We drove all up and down Nephi Main Street looking for vacancies at 1:30 in the morning.  Every single hotel was full.  What to do next? Should I try hotels in another city (most likely full) or head home (1 1/2 hours away) only to turn around to go back and take down the tent?  I called Derek who was still awake at his house doing laundry from sick kids, and he said he could stay with them.  Emily and Tyler got showers and Derek scoured his house for sheets, pillows and blankets.  Megan and Tyler slept in Carolyn and Hadley's beds while Emily and I selpt on the couch.  Luckily nobody else threw up!


We went back to the campsite and I took on cleaning up.  I had to scrape puke from off the sleeping bags, blankets and mats.  After sticking all of the barfed on things in Derek's pick up truck, Derek helped me take down our tent.  I looked for a laundromat in Nephi to clean the sleeping bags, etc., but they didn't have one. 

We headed home and I found a laundromat nearby to clean the sleeping bags.  

Oh. my. goodness!  What a crazy camping trip! We did love being together with cousins in the beautiful mountains!



No comments: