Saturday, November 13, 2010

My Aunt Katie





My Aunt Katie is dying of cancer.

She is a wife and a mother of six beautiful children, and she is only 3 years older than me.

I don't know why life is as it is, but I do know that God knows and that He is in charge of everything.

One of Katie's friends is putting a memory book together for her. Here is what I wrote on my page.

Krafty. I know that’s not how you spell crafty, but I couldn’t write this without mentioning how creatively talented Katie is. Her stationery is beautiful and I’ve loved seeing her projects on her blog, whether it’s to decorate the house or clothe her kids.

Awesome mom. I’ve always been impressed with what a patient mom Katie is. I can barely keep up with 3 kids. I don’t know how she does it so beautifully with six! I love how she and Dennis encourage their children to develop their talents and then support them in everything,

Terrific wife. I know Katie loves Dennis so much. I love seeing them kiss or hug each other. I didn’t meet my Aunt Katie until after I got home from my mission, but I remember being “introduced” to her on a tape that my family had sent to me. Dennis and Katie were so loving to each other on the tape.

Inspirational. I am so inspired by how courageously Katie has taken on cancer in these last 3 years. I know she has really struggled with so many things, but I love that she has shared those struggles so candidly on her blog. My own testimony of God’s love and tender mercies has grown so much thanks to her.

Example. As I mentioned before, I didn’t actually meet Katie until after I returned from my mission. But Katie was a big example to me because she herself had served a mission. When things got really tough on my mission I would think about Katie and how she had “survived.” I knew I could make it too—just like she did. I will think of Katie often once she has completed her mission here on earth. If she can make it, I can too!


I love you, Katie!


(Update by Katie's sister here.)

2 comments:

Tansy said...

Oh Debbie, that is so beautiful, and so true! Thanks for sharing!

Stacy said...

Oh that is SO sad. I am sorry that she has to go through this. I can't imagine! And when I try, it breaks my heart. I'm sorry!