Sometimes my days consist of things like this:
| emptied and scattered junk drawer |
| toys |
| toys |
| Pulling off many, many velcro-ed parts to file folder games |
| Two "naughty girls" who were not supposed to be out of their own beds. |
And it seems like I'm always saying phrases that start with, "Don't..." "Stop..." "Quit..." "Leave....alone." Or I'm addressing potty mouths (Poop, poopy, stinky, etc. are THE most hilarious words. Ever.) It seems like I'm grouchy. A lot. And I don't like that. And I'm trying to do better. But it takes time...and patience..and more opportunities (oh joy) to be a more patient mom. Maybe I'll blog about that another time.
But besides my shortcomings, I do feel very blessed to be a mom to these 3 little ones. I found this quote in "Teaching, No Greater Call." (A little set up for those not familiar with the Book of Mormon: After Jesus Christ was crucified and resurrected, he appeared to another group of believers on the American Continent. The people were so faithful and believing that Jesus was able to teach the people wonderful things, perform many miracles and bless their little children.)
When the resurrected Savior ministered to the Nephites, He showed His great love for little children:
“He took their little children, one by one, and blessed them, and prayed unto the Father for them. …
“And he spake unto the multitude, and said unto them: Behold your little ones.
“And as they looked to behold they cast their eyes towards heaven, and they saw the heavens open, and they saw angels descending out of heaven as it were in the midst of fire; and they came down and encircled those little ones about, and they were encircled about with fire; and the angels did minister unto them” (3 Nephi 17:21, 23–24).
Referring to this account, Elder M. Russell Ballard said, “Clearly, those of us who have been entrusted with precious children have been given a sacred, noble stewardship, for we are the ones God has appointed to encircle today’s children with love and the fire of faith and an understanding of who they are” (“Great Shall Be the Peace of Thy Children,”Ensign, Apr. 1994, 60). (Teaching, No Greater Call, 108.)
I do feel a desire to "encircle {my} children with love and the fire of faith and an understanding of who they are." And in spite of my weaknesses, I do some have some "Drops of Awesome"(see post here.) in my day. I love when I hear the kids singing "I Am a Child of God." (Listen to it here.) or "Follow the Prophet." (Listen to it here.) or they mention President Monson. (Go here.)And I really think they are happy and having a good childhood.
So, here are some recent (and not so recent) pictures of happiness.
A few pictures from a "photo shoot"
An "organized" collection of toys
Playing "horse" on Daddy
How Tyler made his bed one day--with his teddy bear and monkey tucked in
Hanging out on Megan's bed one morning
Playing Mr. Bucket
Playing Cootie
One morning Tyler gathered all of necessary items for choc-y milk
Megan "eating" ketchup at In 'n' Out (our Valentine's Day treat...going to In 'N' Out, not eating ketchup.)
Sidewalk artist
Hangin' in the wagon
Cool dude
Smoothie mustaches (Don't tell them they're called green smoothies for a reason. Although the girls actually like raw spinach.)
Playing on the stairs
Making a train (with strollers as "passengers")
Playing with my old Winnie the Pooh dishes and pans that used to be my mom's when she was little
We had read "The Little Gingerbread Man" so we made gingerbread cookies so the kids would know what we were talking about.
Hanging out with Dad
For a while Megan would ask to wear her apron every night after dinner. Then she would ask me to put music on so she could dance. Her CD of choice was Scripture Power.
I love that these two are friends and play together (mostly) really well while Tyler is at preschool.

5 comments:
Oh Debbie!! Reading your blog makes me feel right at home!!(: Its nice hearing that your days are often like mine and I am not the only one who feels like its "Groundhog Day" everyday!!(:
I love this post! You are such a great mom!! I also have to comment on the Cooties. I haven't seen those forever! My parents used to have that game! :)
I love this post as well Debbie! And I obviously don't have experience in this department, but I would imagine you will be happy to read back through even the "messy" posts someday :)
It is so true that you feel like you are saying, Don't, stop, no, etc! That is the hardest part for me because at the end of the day I wonder what kind of mom I have been. Love your quotes and the pictures!!
That's a strong horse! Also, someone has a strong arm to get the bear on the pantry.
Post a Comment