Sunday, October 26, 2014

Grandpa

My mom's dad, and my last living grandparent, passed away in September.  He had been in declining health the last little bit, and it was a blessing that he was able to finally go be with my grandma.  He had been missing her so much the last 4 1/2 years.



It was wonderful to gather together as family to celebrate his life.  He was a wonderful man and had touched so many lives.  Grandpa and Grandma made it to all of my important events--baptism, college graduation (twice--once to Ricks College and then to BYU), and my mission farewells and homecoming.  I'm especially grateful Grandpa was able to be a witness at my wedding. 

Emily and Megan were born a few months after my Grandma passed away.  Here is Grandpa with Megan and Emily when they were 3 or 4 weeks old.



Here is a 4-generation picture of my grandpa, my mom, me and Megan and Emily.


 

Grandpa was a teacher, principal and superintendent.   He also ran a mechanic shop and was very handy.  He has a beautiful voice and I love that he sang "O Lord, My Redeemer" at my mission farewell.  Family get-togethers were always filled with singing--many times with Grandpa on the guitar.  As I was telling the kids about my grandpa, they pointed out that he was a choir director, just like I am.  I'm grateful for his legacy of education and music that he passed down.

Grandpa and Grandma loved the gospel and were such great examples of obedience to the God's commandments.  I love them both so much.

The funeral was a beautiful celebration of Grandpa's life.  The oldest grandsons were the pall bearers






All of my grandparents' children



All of us at the cemetery.  From what I could tell there were only 3 or 4 of the extended family that weren't there.


 

1 comment:

The Normans said...

I miss Grandma and Grandpa! Loved this post.