Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Piano Lessons

Photobucket

A few months ago a lady in our ward wanted to know if I could teach her piano lessons. I have to admit I was nervous. I know how to teach, and I know how to play the piano, but did I know how to teach piano?

So I said I'd think about it. I talked to my mom, the consummate piano teacher, and I finally decided to give it a go. And you know what? I love it! I get to teach (which I love) and I don't have to do any planning, grading, etc.

I am also teaching two girls in our ward. I'm doing a trade with their mom. She watches Tyler 3 times a week while I go work out at Curves. (The ladies at Curves really miss Tyler, but I know he won't be in his portable car seat much longer and then I wouldn't be able to take him with me.)

And, I now have 3 more people who are interested in having me teach them or their kids.

So, my piano will finally get used again. I must admit that I haven't played it as much lately as I did when I first got it, but I'm SO grateful to have it in our home, and I look forward to teaching my own children someday. The Lladro figurines on the piano are from Spain, as well as the tiled plate. The music cabinet off to the side reminds me of my Grandpa Leonardson. When he died, my parents received some money. They gave each of us a portion of it, and I decided I wanted to spend it on something that I would have for years and years.

4 comments:

Stacy said...

I want names of the people in our ward learning the piano! ;) Just kidding.

I may have to start coming to you as well for lessons, as soon as we get a piano!!

Derek said...

Insensitive comment of the day: I didn't know we got money when Grandpa died.

Kimberly said...

LOL Derek!

That's great that you can do something you love! I am too afraid to teach lessons plus than I'd have to compete with Suzy!

debbie said...

Derek-Um...yeah...well...we were hoping you wouldn't find out. Oops! I guess I blew it! J/K =0)